People know that cigarette smoking increases the risk of lung cancer and respiratory problems, but fail to realize that it is also a major cause of cardiovascular disease, which includes coronary heart disease and stroke.
Research shows that smoking increases one’s heart rate, tightens major arteries, and can cause an irregular heart rhythm, all of which makes your heart work harder than it already does.
Here are some of the effects of smoking to your circulatory system, and just a few from the long list of reason, why you should quit today:
1. It reduces how much oxygen your heart gets.
2. It raises your blood pressure.
3. Speeds up your heart rate.
4. Make blood clots.
5. Harm the insides of your blood vessels.
6. Replaces oxygen with carbon monoxide.
7. Increase the risk of a heart attack by 2-6 times.
8. Risk of coronary heart disease for women taking contraceptive pills.
9. Stroke is increased 3 times.
10. Nicotine triggers palpitations.
We hope that this list helps enlighten you of the real effects of smoking to your heart, and help you start your journey to stopping, today.
– How Does Smoking Affect the Heart and Blood Vessels? (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/smo
– Smoking. (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/risk-factors/smoking
– Smoking and Heart Disease. (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/quit-smoking-heart
You are the healer of your Body.
We are here to facilitate your healing.
Related Health Stories
Treat dad to energy-giving meals this Father’s Day—planned and prepared by our care team! By starting a food plan, dad will get to enjoy healthier meal options, fresh produce, and well-balanced meal proportions. Breakfast Blueberry Yogurt Smoothie Hearty Banana-Nut...
Our diets are causing more and more illnesses in today’s time. We’ve moved from plant-based diets to high-fat, animal-based diets, whilst becoming physically inactive. Our bodies are having a harder time processing the food we are eating, and are causing...
Having too much stress for too long can be bad for your heart. The inability to manage stress can create higher risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, chest pain or irregular heartbeats. It can also make you respond in unhealthy ways such as smoking,...
8th Floor, ACCRALAW Tower, 30th Street corner 2nd Avenue, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City, 1634, Metro Manila
Copyright © 2018 LifeScience Center