People know that cigarette smoking increases the risk of lung cancer and respiratory problems, but fail to realize that it is also a major cause of cardiovascular disease, which includes coronary heart disease and stroke.
Research shows that smoking increases one’s heart rate, tightens major arteries, and can cause an irregular heart rhythm, all of which makes your heart work harder than it already does.
Here are some of the effects of smoking to your circulatory system, and just a few from the long list of reason, why you should quit today:
1. It reduces how much oxygen your heart gets.
2. It raises your blood pressure.
3. Speeds up your heart rate.
4. Make blood clots.
5. Harm the insides of your blood vessels.
6. Replaces oxygen with carbon monoxide.
7. Increase the risk of a heart attack by 2-6 times.
8. Risk of coronary heart disease for women taking contraceptive pills.
9. Stroke is increased 3 times.
10. Nicotine triggers palpitations.
We hope that this list helps enlighten you of the real effects of smoking to your heart, and help you start your journey to stopping, today.
– How Does Smoking Affect the Heart and Blood Vessels? (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/smo
– Smoking. (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/risk-factors/smoking
– Smoking and Heart Disease. (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/quit-smoking-heart
Related Health Stories
At First, It Pains You. Then It Changes You: A LifeScience Client Opens Up About Her Journey with PCOS and Depression Written by: Megan Chan, Product Manager It's funny, but not in a comical way. It's funny in a I-never-knew-this-was-a-serious-thing kinda way. It’s...
How the Elimination Diet helped me get rid of my PCOS and changed my life Written by Louise Samonte Brand Manager, LifeScience Center for Health and Wellness. I had always been thin and energetic until three years ago when I started gaining weight and felt like...
How this millennial weathered the worst season of her life and came out of it victorious What happens if you suddenly can’t do the things you used to do with ease? Like walking up the stairs, working out, or even taking a shower? When 26-year-old Daniela, arrived at...
8th Floor, ACCRALAW Tower, 30th Street corner 2nd Avenue, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City, 1634, Metro Manila
Copyright © 2020 LifeScience Center