Having too much stress for too long can be bad for your heart.
The inability to manage stress can create higher risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, chest pain or irregular heartbeats. It can also make you respond in unhealthy ways such as smoking, overeating and not exercising, making your health even worse.
Here are some tips to manage your stress, so you can rest your weary heart:
1. **Change what you can to lower your stress.**
Whether it’s a change of environment or of our perspective, this change can affect our stress levels in a more tangible way.
2. **Let go of things you cannot control.**
Worrying is one of the biggest source of stress. We need to learn to accept the situation and let things go.
3. **Stay connected to people you love.**
Talking to people who matter to us can be a source of rest. Reach out to people that you love and connect with them.
4. **Find ways to relax everyday.**
Read a book, listen to music, meditate, do yoga, or write in your journal. Reflecting on what is good in your life is a great way to relax yourself.
5. **Be active.**
Exercise can burn off the stress and help you better handle your problems.
If managing stress is a bit hard at the moment, take steps by taking a stress management class, reading a book on stress or signing up for a few sessions with a therapist. Don’t be afraid to learn new things and invest in a better life filled with health and happiness.
– Stress and Heart Health. (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/StressManagement/HowDoesStressAffectYou/Stress-and-Heart-Health_UCM_437370_Article.jsp
– Stress and Heart Disease: What’s the Link? (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/stress-heart-disease-risk
– Stress. (n.d.). Retrieved February 08, 2016, from http://www.world-heart-federation.org/cardiovascular-health/cardiovascular-disease-risk-factors/stress/
Let us know how we can help you.
Related Health Stories
At First, It Pains You. Then It Changes You: A LifeScience Client Opens Up About Her Journey with PCOS and Depression Written by: Megan Chan, Product Manager It's funny, but not in a comical way. It's funny in a I-never-knew-this-was-a-serious-thing kinda way. It’s...
How the Elimination Diet helped me get rid of my PCOS and changed my life Written by Louise Samonte Brand Manager, LifeScience Center for Health and Wellness. I had always been thin and energetic until three years ago when I started gaining weight and felt like...
How this millennial weathered the worst season of her life and came out of it victorious What happens if you suddenly can’t do the things you used to do with ease? Like walking up the stairs, working out, or even taking a shower? When 26-year-old Daniela, arrived at...
8th Floor, ACCRALAW Tower, 30th Street corner 2nd Avenue, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City, 1634, Metro Manila