FAST FACTS ON FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE
1. Functional Medicine is a science-based medical approach to becoming healthy again.
Functional Medicine (FM) is an approach that focuses on a patient’s symptoms, imbalances, and dysfunctions and on the treatment of these root causes to ensure long-term healing and health. Throughout your FM journey, you may be asked to do a series of highly specific and exhaustive tests help your FM doctor determine exactly what’s going on. Traditional healthcare, on the other hand, will most often stop at treating symptoms that have already manifested instead of going further and addressing why you got sick in the first place.
2. Functional Medicine uses a two-pronged approach to healing your body.
The two basic principles are:
- To add what your body lacks in order to bring it back to functioning optimally
- To remove anything that is holding your body back from its optimal state
This is done through the use of natural agents like supplements, nutraceuticals, and nutrition and lifestyle changes.
3. Functional Medicine utilizes individual and highly customised treatment programs.
The FM approach recognizes that each patient is different and that the often-used one-size-fits-all approach of traditional medicine does not work for all. This is why the first thing that your FM doctor will do is a very thorough examination of your body, lifestyle, and habits and analyze what changes need to happen in relation to your health goals. This is why FM doctors are often called your personal medical detective. This is also why tests required from other FM patients may not be required for another and why no two treatment plans or programs are ever the same.
4. The goal of Functional Medicine is to empower you to take charge of your own health.
At the core of the FM approach, we believe that true healing and optimal health can only really come when you are 100% on board. It is a truly collaborative effort between the patient and doctor. We don’t just leave the job to the pills and medications that will sweep your symptoms under the rug and make things go away for now, only to resurface with a vengeance later on. Throughout your FM treatment or program, you will find that our doctors will also concentrate on educating you on your body and your needs in order to train you to make the right health choices, beyond your treatment program.
For further reading, check out:
- What is Functional Medicine by the Institute of Functional Medicine
- The 5 Principles of Functional Medicine
- What to Expect from a Functional Medicine Practitioner